Saturday, 2 April 2016

2016 makes so far

Sorry it's been a while! I have no idea where time went since my last blog post but I can promise you I have definitely been busy doing lots of sewing.



Here's just a few of my recent makes:

Colette patterns - Violet blouse

This is the second Violet blouse I've made and the saying "practise makes perfect" is definitely true when it comes to trying out patterns multiple times.


The first blouse went really well, but this one turned out even better. I found the cotton at Goldhawk Road and instantly fell in love with it.

I got into the swing of things really easily with the blouse - the pattern is super easy to follow and I even got better at stitching around the curves of the collar and the facing.

Sadly, I decided once again to sew horizontal button holes. Will I ever learn?

New Look 6843 skirt

After I made my maroon cord skirt from scratch that went totally wrong, I decided to buy a pattern for a simple a line skirt. The New Look 6843 had the perfect a line shape that I was after, as well as some other views that I would definitely wear in the future.

I had a spare metre of this vibrant red cotton that I chose to make a (wearable) toile of this pattern. The waistband was something new that I'd never done before - I had to sew the zip into the skirt before folding back the waistband around it to finish it off. I'm surprised I've never done this before as it's such a neat and professional way to do waistbands.

McCalls 7080 skater dress

I've been lusting this pattern after seeing many makes of it by Rosabella at Fancy Frugality, so my mum kindly got me the pattern for a Christmas treat.

My favourite place ever, aka Fabric Land in Brighton had this beautiful floral viscose (you can also find it on ebay) for just £3.99 a metre.

This dress is so so simple and the fit-flare shape is flattering for everyone. One of the best things about this dress is that there are no fastenings! No zips, no buttons, just a keyhole and threadloop/button fixture at the centre back. I tried a threadloop but decided to just use a metal popper and a fake button over the top.

I wasn't sure I liked the faux top/skirt with the foldover at the bottom of the bodice but actually it really grew on me. The other great thing about this pattern is that you don't need to make it with the foldover on the bodice if you don't want to! It's a great pattern for woven fabrics and I can't wait to make another one.

Sew Over It - Ultimate Trousers

Here's a sneak peek of my first pair of Ultimate Trousers! Polka dot, stretch cotton found at Goldhawk Road - am totally in love with these. I'm just waiting for spring/summer to hurry up so it's warm enough to wear them. Expect a full pattern review in the next few weeks!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment